Wills and trusts, winding up estates and estate planning
Making a Will is the only way to ensure that your wishes are carried out after your death. It is important under English law to make a will so that:
- You can decide who will inherit - otherwise the laws on intestacy decide
- You don't pay more inheritance tax than is necessary
- If you have property overseas that your estate is dealt with quickly and cost effectively after your death.
- If you are an unmarried couple (whether or not of the same sex) you can ensure that your partner inherits (this does not happen automatically)
- If you have children under 18 a named guardian is appointed
- If you are divorced you can decide whether to leave anything to an ex-partner if they are living with someone else
Imison & Co can assist and advise on the drafting of Wills in accordance with English law and have particular experience in drafting Wills in accordance with Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese and Turkish law.
We ensure that your English and foreign Wills are complementary to each other, and that
Please contact our respective international departments.
- The Wills accurately reflect your wishes in respect of worldwide estate planning
- Your inheritance tax position is minimised
Many foreign countries have a Wills registry which contains a record of all Wills. In England this is not the case. All the best intentions of the writer and sound tax and legal planning are wasted if the Will cannot be found
- Imison & Co offer Wills storage
- Foreign Wills are retained safely in the notary's protocol
Winding up Estates
- We help relatives and executors to wind up estates in Spain, Italy, France, Portugal and Turkey in conjunction with your English solicitors (where appropriate).
- The service includes closing bank accounts and ensuring that the taxes (if any) are paid and that the right monies are paid to the right beneficiaries
Our clients include customers and former customers of our client international banks, insurance companies, solicitors and private individuals.
Estate planning for foreign nationals in England
Our Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese and Turkish departments are pleased to advise nationals from the respective countries working in England but with assets in any of these countries on the most suitable and tax efficient way of estate planning and holding property in England, considering
- Who you wish to benefit
- Your domicile
- The age of the person you wish to benefit
- Bare trusts
- Accumulation and maintenance trusts
- Discretionary trusts
Our clients in this area include employees of major international banks and plc's.